Israeli Soldiers Kill Two Palestinians In Jenin – 17 killed in 19 days
The Palestinian Health Ministry has confirmed that the soldiers killed a physical education teacher and a married father of six children, Jawad Farid Hussein Bawaqna, 58, and Adham Mohammad Bassem Jabarin, 26 (photo)
An Israeli sniper shot a teacher in the head as he was helping a father who had been shot by invading soldiers. The soldiers then blocked medics from coming to their aid. Their deaths make 17 Palestinians killed in 19 days
On Thursday dawn, Israeli soldiers killed two Palestinians, injured three, and abducted four others after the army invaded Jenin and Jenin refugee camp in the northern part of the occupied West Bank.
The Palestinian Health Ministry has confirmed that the soldiers killed a physical education teacher and a married father of six children, Jawad Farid Hussein Bawaqna, 58, after shooting him in the head, and former political prisoner, Adham Mohammad Bassem Jabarin, 26, both from Jenin refugee camp.
Ata Abu Romeila, the secretary of the Fateh movement in Jenin, said the soldiers fatally shot Bawaqna while trying to render first aid to Jabarin, who was shot in front of his home in the As-Saha area in the center of Jenin refugee camp before an army sharpshooter shot him in the head.
The man was trying to help Adham, who was shot by an Israeli army sharpshooter and heavily bleeding, before Jawad’s daughter helped drag Adham to safety a few meters away, but then an army sniper shot her father.
He added that Israeli soldiers also stopped Palestinian ambulances and prevented the medics from entering the refugee camp, forcing the residents to transport Jawad and Adham to the Ibn Sina Hospital in private cars, but they succumbed to their wounds.
The soldiers also attacked Palestinian protesters with live rounds, rubber-coated steel bullets, gas bombs, and concussion grenades.
Medical sources said the soldiers injured several Palestinians, including three who were shot with live fire to the abdomen, thigh, and shoulder, suffering moderate-but-stable wounds.
The Palestinian shot in the abdomen was rushed to surgery after a soldier shot him with an expanding bullet, causing multi-organ damage.
Two Israeli soldiers were reportedly injured by an explosive charge hurled at their military vehicle.
The soldiers also invaded and ransacked many homes and abducted four Palestinians, including two siblings, Hasan Ahmad Zaghal and Sharaf Ahmad Abu Sharif, in addition to Aws and his brother Hani Khaled Abu Zeina.
Hundreds of Palestinians marched in front of Ibn Sina hospital carrying the corpses of Jabarin and Bawaqna, chanting for ongoing resistance, steadfastness until liberation and independence, and calling for international protection for the Palestinian people.
On Tuesday, Israeli soldiers killed a Palestinian security officer, Hamdi Shaker Abdullah Abu Dayya, 40, at the entrance of the Nabi Younis area in Halhoul town, north of Hebron, in the southern part of the occupied West Bank.
Last year, Israeli soldiers killed 224 Palestinians, including 59 from the Jenin governorate.
Israeli soldiers killed seventeen Palestinians, including four children, in the first nineteen days of this month/year:
- January 19, 223: Jawad Farid Hussein Bawaqna, 58.
- January 19, 2023: Adham Mohammad Bassem Jabarin, 26.
- January 17, 2023: Hamdi Shaker Abdullah Abu Dayya, 40
- January 16, 2023: Amro Khaled Al-Khmour, 14.
- January 15, 2023: Ahmad Hasan Kahala, 45.
- January 14, 2023: Yazan Samer Ja’bari, 19.
- January 14, 2023: Amjad Adnan Khaliliyya, 23.
- January 14, 2023: Ezzeddin Bassem Hamamra, 24.
- January 12, 2023: Habib Mohammad Kamil, 25.
- January 12, 2023: Abdul-Hadi Fakhri Nazzal, 18.
- January 12, 2023: Samir Awni Aslan, 41.
- January 11, 2023: Ahmad Amer Abu Jneid, 21.
- January 11, 2023: Sanad Mohammad Samamra, 19.
- January 05, 2023: Amer Abu Zeitoun, 16.
- January 03, 2023: Adam Essam Ayyad, 15.
- January 02, 2023: Fuad Mohammad ‘Aabed, 17.
- January 02, 2023: Mohammad Samer Houshiyya, 22.
For a complete list of Palestinians and Israelis killed since 2000, please visit Israel-Palestine Timeline
CONTEXT: The entire West Bank has been under Israeli occupation since 1967; all its official entrances and exits are controlled by Israeli soldiers, making its Palestinian inhabitants virtual prisoners. Many are families that were ethnically cleansed from Israel during Israel’s founding war (see this and this and this). Israeli forces often invade the territory, frequently beating and shooting people; one example is here.
Israel was established in 1947 through a war of ethnic cleansing of the indigenous population, both Muslims and Christians, and it continues to steal other people’s land for illegal colonies known as ‘settlements.’ While Palestinians most often use nonviolent resistance, a small number use armed resistance against the invaders.
OTHER RECENT PALESTINIAN DEATHS AT ISRAEL’S HANDS:
- Seriously Injured Palestinian 14-year-old Succumbs To His Wounds
- Israeli forces gun down Palestinian father & 2 others, another dies of wounds
- Palestinian, 19, Dies From Wounds Suffered in Jenin
- Invading Israeli forces kill 5 Palestinians in West Bank
FURTHER READING ON THE ISRAEL/PALESTINE ISSUE:
- Latest meeting of America’s most powerful pro-Israel lobby
- Ed Dept resists pro-Israel pressure to adopt new antisemitism definition
- Israel’s new radical government shows itself reckless and racist
- Raped, abused, exploited: Ukrainian women seeking refuge in Israel find no haven
- I once ran Human Rights Watch. Harvard blocked my fellowship over Israel
- 2022: 12 months of Israeli violence against Palestinians