This morning, we found out that the government’s tax collectors – HMRC – don’t seem to have been doing their job properly.Instead of making sure everyone is paying their fair share of tax, they’ve agreed to “sweetheart deals” letting big companies off paying billions of pounds. 
The government will be hoping we’re too busy doing our Christmas shopping and working out how we’re going to pay our heating bills to care what their tax officers have been up to. But they’re wrong.
A huge public outcry and a flood of complaints to HMRC will send a powerful message: we won’t stand for the government giving big business the green light to dodge billions in tax.
Today’s news is full of the shocking details of these deals. The Daily Mail warns “While families, shopkeepers and small businesses are forced to pay their bills in full, big businesses are striking favourable deals and have a ‘far too cosy’ relationship with HM Revenue and Customs.” 
As lots of us prepare for winter on a tight budget, it’s not hard to imagine that those billions of pounds could have been spent on something better than stuffing the wallets of the most powerful companies in the country. We could have spent it on schools, on hospitals, or making sure everyone can have a safe, warm home this Christmas time.
We know that tax dodging is a big issue. That’s why last month we decided that it should be something we should make an urgent priority.  This is our chance to make sure we get a fairer system. A people-powered flood of complaints now will surprise HMRC and force them to think again.
Over the last few hours on Facebook lots of 38 Degrees members have been speaking out.  Here are some of their comments:
– Tober: “It’s a Scandal. Get to it 38 degrees!!”
– Paul: “A list of these firms need to be published and the individual amount they owe. Im glad this is front page news today”
– Andy: “disgusting smell of corruption hangs over this whole business.”
– Dean: “I feel so angry about this – and so impotent, what can be done?”
– Michelle: “No it isn’t fair, but sadly I’m not surprised! The rich get richer and the poor can pay!”
– Diana: “No it isn’t fair and that unfairness is at the heart of all the resentment and division in our society. When did someone decide it was OK for tax officials to accept lunches or other gifts?”